Chief Medical Officer
- Calgary, AB
- Job Category
Chief Medical Officer (CMO) – Estimated at 0.5 FTE – May be located at any STARS’ base
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Medical Officer will be a member of the Executive Leadership Team and be responsible to ensure the STARS organization remains patient focused and strives for excellence in critical care provision.
The role of the CMO embodies full clinical oversight for the organization and is accountable for the management of clinical and medical care provided by STARS with an unyielding focus on safety and excellence in care, education, and research.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Develops a strong medical leadership team that will be collaborative and effective in meeting the objectives of operational excellence at their respective bases. Acts as the chair of MOMT (Medical Operations Management Team)
- Works effectively in collaboration with the Lead Clinical Officer in a “Dyad” model for the Chief Medical Office
- Participates in the execution of the STARS Strategic Plan
- Oversees medical operational plans
- Provides leadership to the clinical and organizational safety portfolio
- Supports STARS’ Privacy Officer with any patient or clinically related items
- Oversees the development and monitoring of STARS clinical standards, practice guidelines, Critical Care Medical Control Protocols (CCMCPs) standard operating procedures, adherence to compliance with all regulatory requirements, and STARS clinical and patient safety processes
- Plans, develops, implements, and has general oversight for medical budgets with input to other organizational budgets as required
- Oversees work of the Research Committee. Facilitates research and ensures alignment with STARS’ mission and strategic plan
- Partner with the Chief Operating Officer (COO) on clinical education curriculum as needed
- Participates in regularly scheduled Executive meetings, Board meetings, professional organizational meetings, and external stakeholder meetings relevant to the medical function
- Other duties as assigned
- Highly developed understanding of strategic planning, leadership development, change management, performance management, risk management, and resource management
- Leadership style that is results focused, collaborative, and respectful
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills for negotiating scenarios, coaching, facilitating, conflict resolution and consensus building
- Ability to analyze processes, enact change and think operationally and strategically to achieve goals
- Able to react to change productively
- Budget setting and forecasting
- A physician in good standing in one of our three provincial jurisdictions with a critical care subspecialty including Emergency, ICU or Anesthesia, or related field
- Minimum of ten years of clinical practice including a strong research and education focus, and a sound understanding of Critical Care and/or Transport Medicine practices, principles, and regulations.
- Experience teaching at a graduate or undergraduate level and experience leading a multidisciplinary team in an educational environment
- This role will require occasional travel between STARS bases
This role can be performed out of any of the STARS bases: Calgary (AB), Edmonton (AB), Grande Prairie (AB), Winnipeg (MB), Regina (SK) or Saskatoon (SK).
Shelley MacEwen (Human Resources Business Partner)
Tel: 403 516-3568