Southlake is building healthy communities through outstanding care, innovative partnerships, and amazing people. We deliver a wide range of healthcare services to the communities of northern York Region and southern Simcoe County. Our advanced regional programs include Cancer Care and Cardiac Care and serve a broader population across the northern GTA and into Simcoe-Muskoka.
Our team of nearly 6,000 staff, physicians, volunteers, students and Patient and Family Advisors are committed to creating an environment where the best experiences happen. As a recognition of our commitment to quality and patient safety, we have received the highest distinction of Exemplary Standing from Accreditation Canada.
Reporting to the Chair of the Board of Directors. This position is consistent with the Public Hospitals Act acts as Chair of the Medical Advisory Committee and ensures that the work of the MAC and its subcommittees is carried out in a manner consistent with its obligations to the Public and to SRHC. Oversees the quality and privileging of Medical staff, including Dental, Midwifery and Extended Class Nursing staff at Southlake, and with the MAC takes remedial action to correct deficiencies in medical care. The Chief of Staff shall be accountable to the Board and works collaboratively and cooperatively with the Chief Executive Officer and other senior leaders.
- Organizes the Professional Staff to ensure that the quality of the medical, dental, midwifery, and extended class nursing care given to all patients of the Hospital is in accordance with policies established by the Board;
- Advises the Medical Advisory Committee and the Board with respect to the quality of medical, dental, midwifery, and extended class nursing staff in diagnosis, care and treatment provided to the patients of the Hospital;
- Works with the Vice President, Medical Affairs, the SLT and all Professional staff in viewing the organization as a whole, in order to break down structural, silo barriers, and ensure the best use of available resources to deliver quality of care.
- Reports regularly to the Board and Medical Staff about the activities, recommendations, and actions of the Medical Advisory Committee and any other matters about which they should have knowledge;
- Assigns, or delegates the assignment of a member of the medical, dental, midwifery, or extended class nursing staff to:
- Supervise the practice of medicine of any other member of the Professional Staff, as appropriate, for any period of time; and make a written report to the Chief of the appropriate department
- Assigns, or delegates the assignment of a member of the Professional Staff to discuss in detail with any other member of the Professional Staff, as appropriate, any matter which is of concern to the Chief of Staff and to report the discussion to the Chief of the appropriate department;
- In consultation with the Chief Executive Officer, designates an alternate to act during an absence;
- Is responsible to the Board with the Chief Executive Officer for the appropriate utilization of resources by all members and departments;
- Participates in the development of the Hospital’s strategic plan;
- Works with the Vice President Medical Affairs, and the Medical Advisory Committee to plan the Professional Staff Human Resource needs of the Hospital in accordance with the Hospital’s strategic plan;
- Participates in Hospital resource allocation decisions;
- Ensures a process for the regular review of the performance of the Chiefs of Department.
- Along with the VP Medical Affairs, ensures there is a process for participation in continuing professional education;
- Receives and reviews recommendations from Chiefs of Department regarding changes in privileges;
- Ensures compliance with the Public Hospitals Act, Regulations, Southlake by-laws and Southlake Code of Conduct and other organizational policies;
- Ensures a fair thorough process for the credentialing, privileging and re-appointment of privileged staff;
- Receives and makes written recommendations regarding the performance evaluations of the Chiefs of Department concerning their own annual re-appointments. Ensures that the evaluations and recommendations are forwarded to the Credentials Committee. The Credentials Committee shall review and make written recommendations to the Medical Advisory Committee;
- Ensures that there are appropriate processes in place to monitor, investigate and follow up on matters related to the quality of medical care, including regular reports to the MAC;
- Provides support to Patient Relations in dealing with patient concerns with Privileged Staff. This may require follow up and investigation;
- Investigates reports and discloses to the Board any Critical Incidents concerning quality of Medical Care, consistent with SRHC policies and the Public Hospitals Act.
- Coordinates and manages the process to address Privileged Staff disciplinary and privilege issues consistent with Legislation, Medical Staff by-laws and SRHC policy;
- Advises the Professional Staff on current Hospital policies, objectives, and Staff Rules and Regulations; and
- Delegates appropriate responsibility to the Chiefs of Department.
- A licensed Physician in good standing with CPSO
- Must have/obtain and maintain appointment and privileges at SHRC
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Experienced Physician Leader having worked in a complex environment with demonstrated advanced Leadership skills and training.