Vice President, Medical Affairs
- Southlake Regional Health Centre
- Job Category
- Job Type
Southlake is building healthy communities through outstanding care, innovative partnerships, and amazing people. We deliver a wide range of healthcare services to the communities of northern York Region and southern Simcoe County. Our advanced regional programs include Cancer Care and Cardiac Care and serve a broader population across the northern GTA and into Simcoe-Muskoka.
Our team of nearly 6,000 staff, physicians, volunteers, students and Patient and Family Advisors are committed to creating an environment where the best experiences happen. As a recognition of our commitment to quality and patient safety, we have received the highest distinction of Exemplary Standing from Accreditation Canada.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, as a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Vice President is accountable for providing administrative medical leadership in support of the implementation of SRHC’s Purpose, Values and Strategic Plan. This role requires the incumbent to work in a collaborative manner with the Chief of Staff and members of the Professional Staff as well as Senior Leadership colleagues. This role directly oversees Program Physician Leaders.
- Ensures the broad participation of privileged physicians on departmental meetings, committees, improvement teams or policy development as required by SRHC’s by-laws;
- Ensures that all medical staff are following the organization's code of conduct and health workplace policies in order to create a safe environment that prevents workplace violence;
- In collaboration with the Chief of Staff, Departmental Chiefs and Medical Staff Association, ensures the development, implementation, compliance and review of medical staff bylaws, rules and regulation consistent with the strategic and operational and teaching mandates of SRHC;
- Participates on various committees and subcommittees as appropriate and as a member of the MAC;
- Along with the Chief of Staff, oversees the Medical Human Resource plan to ensure that it aligns with SRHC's strategic and teaching mandates;
- Leads the process for the appointment of Program Physician Leaders;
- Provides guidance and counsel to the CEO, medical staff and hospital staff to assist them in responding to the challenges facing the health care system;
- Advances and promote a practice environment and an interdisciplinary culture that is focused on high quality, safe, patient-centered care, based upon an evolving body of clinical knowledge, best practices and research evidence;
- Supports the implementation of the organization’s annual quality improvement plan;
- Actively leads physician communication and engagement activities;
- Provides direct supervision and leadership to Program Physician Leaders and works collaboratively with the Executive Vice President, Clinical to ensure aligned leadership to clinical programs and services;
- Ensure organizational compliance with the Excellent Care for All Act and other legislative requirements;
- Develops short and long-term strategies/objectives to enhance quality and patient safety outcomes, ensuring their integration across departments and programs;
- Participates in critical incident review and investigations to determine quality and safety improvement actions, monitoring of process changes, reporting and education;
- Assists with the development of a culture of quality and patient safety;
- Supports physicians and staff with the standardization of best practices across departments and programs;
- Acts as the Physician corporate lead for Accreditation, partnering with the VP Innovation and CNE;
- Is responsible with the Executive Vice President, Clinical for the appropriate utilization of resources by all members and departments;
- Reports to the Medical Advisory Committee on activities of the Hospital including the utilization of resources and quality assurance;
- Supports physicians in viewing the organization as a whole to break down structural barriers and to ensure the best use of available resources to deliver quality of care;
- Provides leadership in the effective utilization and management of healthcare resources working with medical leaders and others on matters of clinical appropriateness, efficiency and efficacy;
- Establishes processes to engage and foster relationships with medical leaders and physicians and other staff;
- Advances appropriate to care that is reflective of the diversity of the population served and ensures patients and their families are engaged in care in a way that is respectful, non-judgmental, and culturally safe;
- Engages the community and SRHC’s physician leadership to promote and advance the role of SRHC as it works with its partners to advance the work of the Ontario Health Team;
- Provides support to patient relations in dealing with patient concerns, investigations and follow-up and closure of patient complaints.
- A licensed Physician in good standing with CPSO
- Must have/obtain and maintain appointment and privileges at SHRC
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Experienced Physician Leader having worked in a complex environment with demonstrated advanced Leadership skills and training.
- Excellent clinical and leadership skills with a focus on inter-professional collaboration, quality improvement and patient safety;
- Experience in medical administrative management functions;
- Enhanced knowledge of quality improvement, utilization management and patient safety;
- Demonstrated exceptional teambuilding and conflict management skills.
- Qualified to practice in the Province of Ontario with the ability to gain active privileges to practice medicine at SRHC;
- Master's degree in Administration or a health related discipline is preferred Demonstrated commitment to continuing education in both health care administration and clinical care;
- Fellowship from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (or equivalent) or membership within the college of Family Physicians of Canada is required;
- Ministry of Labour supervisor training.