Physician Position required for a College and University Health Centre
The Campus Health and Wellness Centre is seeking an Independent contractor to work in the Campus
Health and Wellness Centre clinic. A full or part-time physician is required to work within a primary care medical clinic located on the North Oshawa campus of Durham College (DC) and Ontario Tech University
(OTU). The combined student population of DC and OTU is approximately 23,000. The Campus Health and
Wellness Centre (CHWC) serves 3 on-site residences which are home to approximately 1,600 students; through the months of September to May with a daily average of >40 physician visits per day pre COVID.
As an independent contractor, it is expected that the successful candidate will provide services in a manner congruent with Durham College policies and procedures and overarching principles, and maintain professional, ethical and confidentiality standards.
The CHWC provides a walk-in medical clinic supported by physicians, nursing services and a variety of mental health support services with direct access to Psychiatry, DBT Counselling Services, Psychotherapy,
Mental Health Nurses, and Wellness Coaches. In addition, there is Sports Medicine/Athletic Therapy, and
“on-site” full-service pharmacy and laboratory services. Physicians are also fully supported by an administrative team.
To learn more about the Campus Health and Wellness Centre, please visit our website at: https://durhamcollege.ca/student-life/health-and-wellness/campus-health-and-wellness-centre
The General Practitioner will ensure patients of the centre receive medical assessments and treatment of illness and injury, personal health assessments, gynecological exams, laboratory testing and screening, allergy injections, immunizations, mental health assessment and medication management along with and a variety of health promotion/educational services. These medical services have a distinct market segment to target: international and domestic students, students living on campus, and supporting academic program requirements through medical documentation. The incumbent will work under the direction of the Director, Campus Health and Wellness Centre.
- Demonstrated experience and ability completing risk assessments (informal) and managing risk in an outpatient setting, including safety planning;
- Family physicians with sub-specialities, or areas of interest in dermatology, obstetrics, mental health/GP psychotherapy, ADHD assessment, small surgical procedures, and Adult ASD support are considered assets;
- Experience supporting Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour (BIPOC), 2SLGBTQ community and other marginalized populations is considered an asset;
- Experience working with post-secondary population is considered an asset;
- Demonstrated understanding of working within an anti-oppression framework;
- Experience working under an Interprofessional Primary Care model;
- Ability to speak languages in addition to English is an asset.
To strive to achieve the goals outlined in our Durham Colleges Strategic Plan 2020-2023, the CHWC will ensure a positive and inclusive work environment that is diverse, respectful and representative of our community
- Licensed or eligible for licensure without restrictions by the College of Physicians and
Surgeons of Ontario;
- Interested in practicing evidence-based medicine;
- Open to contributing to clinic policies and procedures/improving care processes;
- Able to work independently but also thrives in a multi-disciplinary, team-based environment.
The posting will remain open until a successful candidate is found.
Clinic is a fee for service.
- Casual dress
- Flexible schedule
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- No weekends