Vice President, Research - Scarborough Health Netweork
Vice President, Research
Scarborough Health Network
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is a community teaching network, located in one of the most diverse and vibrant communities in Canada. SHN is proud to be named one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for 2022. Across our three hospital sites – Birchmount Hospital, Centenary Hospital, General Hospital – and several community-based satellite clinics, our programs and services are designed for the specific needs of the Scarborough community. With 900 inpatient beds, 6000 staff, and 950 physicians, SHN is one of the largest community hospital networks in Canada. SHN offers three full-service emergency departments; diagnostic, surgery, rehabilitation, and geriatric care; as well as advanced birthing centres for moms, newborns, and growing families. With leading minds and medical expertise, SHN is home to Ontario’s largest regional nephrology program and regional community-based cardiovascular rehabilitation services; is the designated cardiac centre for Ontario Central East; as well as an internationally recognized cardio-oncology centre of excellence.
SHN has made bold strides towards the development of a research institute to further improve population health, health equity and system integration and transform the patient experience through innovation, education and research, in line with our strategic direction.
Research and innovation in community hospitals can contribute to many benefits, including improving patient care, ensuring access to new medicines and care models, and attracting and retaining talent. Having a focus on research also achieves the triple aim of enhancing the patient experience, improving the health of populations, and reducing healthcare costs.
Following the launch of the Scarborough Health Network Research Institute (SHNRI), our network joins the ranks of the most prestigious health organizations in building a connected, but independently run, entity dedicated to the promotion of novel and impactful research in the healthcare space. Additionally, it aligns us with the provincial government’s planned investments in research and innovation, and positions us to contribute studies and findings that not only translate into improved care here in Scarborough, but that also have applications for health systems across the country. The Vice President, Research will be responsible for leading SHNRI with a focus on achieving the vision to provide better health through research that matters to our community.
SHNRI is a unique setting for clinical research opportunities based on our location, diverse catchment area and our regional programs. This means there are opportunities for SHNRI to develop research not only in and for our community of Scarborough but also on an international level as no other Canadian hospital has this same opportunity.
As a key member of the SHN’s Senior Leadership Team, the new position of Vice President, Research will help SHN achieve its vision by advancing one of SHN’s key strategic pillars: “Transforming the patient experience through innovation, education, and research”. As a member of the SHN Senior Leadership Team and working closely with the SHNRI Board of Directors, the mandate of this new position includes:
- Prioritizing applied research and innovation that meets the diverse needs of the communities that Scarborough serves, proactively seeking to include population segments that have been traditionally underrepresented in research on cutting-edge therapies
- Partnering with academic institutions including Centennial College, the University of Toronto (including the Scarborough Academy of Medicine and Integrated Health) as well as the Toronto Academic Health Sciences Network
- Creation of an annual workplan to achieve the goals of the strategic priorities for SHNRI and SHN
- Oversight and direction of all SHNRI research activities
- Fostering partnerships and coordination across the research and innovation ecosystem—and, importantly, with the Scarborough community—to ensure meaningful engagement, scale and relevance
- Investing strategically in projects, talent and infrastructure to build capacity and enable high-quality research
- Enabling knowledge translation to fulfill the potential of research for patients and for the health system including addressing drivers of equity and access to health care in diverse communities
- Ability to successfully lead a team to support the creation of structures, processes, and systems that will advance the creation and integration of research, teaching, and clinical activities
- Ensuring diverse patient and community voices are represented in research priorities and in individual protocols
- Oversight of research team and staff
The Vice President, Research is an inspirational and distinguished academic with significant leadership and administrative management experience. Additional requirements include:
- A PhD and/or MD and a relevant Master’s degree from an accredited institution is required, along with a demonstrated proficiency in research methodologies, acquired through formal training or equivalent experience.
- Extensive experience in a comparable role with established success as a visionary leader devoted to research excellence.
- Superior leadership skills with a competency in advancing the integration of research, teaching, and clinical activities.
- Inclusive leader with a demonstrated strong commitment to principles of Equity, Diversity, Anti-Racism, and Inclusion.
In summary, as the ideal candidate, you are an accomplished leader, comfortable working in a start-up environment. You have a clear sense of the future and the importance of research and innovation in an applied form. You will play an important leadership role internally and externally with partners, collaborators, and funders in Canada and around the world. As an authentic and trusted leader with highly developed communication, facilitation, negotiation, collaboration, and advocacy skills, you will enable SHNRI’s vision of improved health and care of our community through research.
To apply for this exceptional opportunity, please submit your application and related materials to Pamela Colquhoun, Partner, and Jim Stonehouse, Partner via Kathy Luu, Senior Associate [email protected].
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.