- Northern Health Authority
- Prince George, BC
- Job Category
- Internal Medicine/Internist
The University Hospital of Northern British Columbia (UHNBC) is seeking four suitably qualified General Internal Medicine (GIM) specialists to join our department of internal medicine. With the recent redesign of its service delivery model, the department of medicine is establishing a division of General Internal Medicine, with four new positions including the opportunity to serve as Division Lead (0.2 FTE). The department of internal medicine at UHNBC currently has over 20 members including subspecialty divisions which all participate (with the exception of ICU and neurology) in shared internal medicine call and the inpatient Clinical Teaching Unit (CTU). The ICU operates as a closed service and its call is provided by ICU fellowship trained physicians on a separate rota.
The position of General Internist will involve the following duties:
- Provision of 16 weeks per year of inpatient services as MRP for patients on the CTU and/or GIM unit. (Typically this would be divided as 8 weeks on each service).
- Participation in the inpatient daytime consult service for general internal medicine on a rotating basis (1 week in 4 – approx. 13 weeks per year).
- Participation in the provision of general internal medicine rapid access clinics, peri-operative assessment clinic and other clinics designated as part of the GIM service
- Participation in clinical teaching with a clinical faculty appointment
- Participation in the general medicine shared call schedule (approx. 1 in 7)
- As ultimately responsible for the medical care of patients admitted to the GIM unit, review the medical care and the documentations provided by the clinical associate as often as needed to provide the optimal medical care.
- Ensure MRP is identified for all patients admitted to the GIM unit, and clearly communicate to patient their MRP.
Those providing the above services will have access to the following resources:
- Access to onsite shared clinic space without overhead fees, including EMR access
- Access to the cardiac lab with the ability to provide exercise stress testing, Holter monitor interpretation and MIBI stress testing
- Participation in the ECG reading rota
- Support on CTU with house staff including a GP clinical associate, senior medicine resident, family practice resident(s) and medical students
- Support on the GIM inpatient unit with two GP clinical associates
- The GIM clinic space is supported by a booking clerk
The GIM Division Lead will be a paid administrative role (0.2 FTE) for one of the four members of the division. The Division Lead will work collaboratively with the operational manager for medicine to ensure smooth co-operation with other departments and divisions, and will play a critical role in the future development of GIM services at UHNBC.
Prince George is the centre of business, education, health and culture for northern BC, servicing a rural population of 300,000 people over an area of 600,000 square kilometers. The Prince George airport is serviced by two major airlines, offering several daily one hour flight options to Vancouver. Affordable housing, a vibrant arts and culture community, short commutes, and outstanding outdoor recreational opportunities make Prince George a desirable place to call home.
If rewarding professional opportunities and outstanding lifestyle are your priority, this Internal Medicine opportunity in Prince George is for you!
Interested candidates should provide a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and a list of three referees.
Organization and work location information:
Northern Health Authority
University Hospital of Northern British Columbia
1475 Edmonton Street
Prince George, BC
V2M 1S2In order to be eligible for licensure in BC, your postgraduate training must meet the requirements of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia. Post graduate training must be obtained from an accredited and approved training program in a jurisdiction sanctioned by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. Please refer to the attached PDF for a listing of those countries: http://www.royalcollege.ca/portal/page/portal/rc/common/documents/credentials/jurisdictions_e.html
Please contact Health Match BC to determine your options to become eligible for BC licensure. http://www.healthmatchbc.org/Physicians.aspx