Chief of Emergency Medicine
- Windsor Regional Hospital
- Windsor, Ontario
- Job Category
- Emergency Medicine
- Job Type
Windsor Regional Hospital (WRH) is the key provider of acute care and emergency services for Windsor/Essex. WRH is the 11th largest hospital in the Province of Ontario and the 3rd largest community teaching hospital, serving a population of about 400,000 people in Windsor and Essex County.
The hospital is responsible for all acute care services in Windsor and currently operates out of two campuses – the Met Campus and the Ouellette Campus. The hospital has more than 3,700 staff members, 515 physicians and 890 volunteers. Through its affiliation with the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry-Windsor Campus, there are also a number of medical school students and resident physicians working at the two campuses.
As the regional provider of advanced care, the hospital provides the following services for the entire Erie St. Clair LHIN: Complex Trauma, Renal Dialysis, Cardiac Care, Stroke and Neurosurgery, Intensive Care, Acute Mental Health, Family Birthing Centre, Neonatal Intensive Care, Paediatric Services, and Regional Cancer services.
In 2013, Windsor Regional Hospital entered into an historical realignment of services with Hôtel-Dieu Grace Healthcare which was the first step in planning for a new progressive and modernized “system-wide hospital plan” for Windsor-Essex. This plan includes a new state-of-the-art regional acute care hospital, an urgent care centre and a centre of mental health excellence.
Our Vision: Outstanding Care – No Exceptions!
Our Mission: Deliver an outstanding patient care experience driven by a passionate commitment to excellence
Reporting through the Chief of Staff and Chief Executive Officer to the Board of Directors, and consistent with WRH’s mission, vision, values, and strategic direction, the Chief will have a broad mandate to drive change throughout the Department and will be accountable for the management of the clinical service and related teaching and research and behaviours of the Professional staff members within Emergency Medicine including:
- Working closely with the Chief of Staff, on the quality of medical diagnosis, care and treatment provided to all patients of the Department, and any related administrative details;
- Ensuring, within the Department, compliance with the By‐Law and Rules and Regulations, including Policies related to quality assurance and chart reviews;
- Providing leadership to ensure an effective working relationship in the establishment of an interdisciplinary approach to patient and family centered care and service – including the organization and implementation of a quality assurance program in the Department;
- Through and with the Chief of Staff, managing the professional care and behaviour provided to all patients by all members of the clinical services provided to the Hospital by the Department;
- Representing the Department as a voting member of the Medical Advisory Committee;
- Hold monthly meetings (a minimum of 9 per year) with the staff of the Department and where applicable with the Heads of sections within the Department;
- Participating in Hospital resource allocation decisions that affect the Department;
- Lead in the recruitment of new members of the Department acting within the approved Human Resources Plan of the Department;
- Collaborate with the Hospital in the management of any complaint relating to a Physician;
- Establish a departmental duty roster and call schedule from and among the members of the active staff in the department in accordance with provincial guidelines and the human resources plan of the hospital.
For a detailed outline of Department Chief roles and responsibilities, please see Appendix A.
Visible, active and engaged equally at both sites, the incumbent will want to focus on the following key priorities to address the need for consistency across both sites through process and procedure change and alignment:
- Engage with staff to create and communicate a new vision for integrated Emergency Services for WRH that encompasses team and culture building, and achieves exceptional patient satisfaction and performance objectives.
- Attend to administrative and human resource challenges including physician scheduling, recruitment and retention.
- Build collaborative, engaged relationships and effective problem-solving strategies – with staff, nursing and allied health leadership, administration, and medical/clinical department heads.
- Promote personal well-being and job satisfaction by supporting wellness initiatives, and safe and healthy work environments.
WRH has an excellent reputation providing the full spectrum of medical services to the community and surrounding region. For the individual who is inspired by WRH’s journey to date and future plans, including a new hospital and urgent care centre, this is an opportunity to work with a talented and dedicated group of physicians and staff in delivering upon the mission to provide exceptional emergency services and outstanding patient care experience to those in need.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Success in this role will require a combination of leadership, relationship/team building, and championship of change and results achievement inclusive of the following:
- Former or currently practicing emergency physician who is/will qualify with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario.
- Prior administrative and/or committee experience is preferred; adept at administration, organization, complaint management, and peer coaching.
- Demonstrated high clinical standards and commitment to quality and patient safety initiatives that support optimal utilization of resources.
- Effective mediator and advocator; diplomatic; problem solver; fair.
- Consensus builder balanced with decision making.
- Engaging personality; leadership presence.
- Patient-focused; passionate and compassionate.
- A coach and mentor who provides support while ensuring accountability.
- Excellent communication and listening skills.
- Works well across teams/departments.
- Ideally will live in the community/area; active and visible presence on both sites is important.
Should you have any questions regarding this important and meaningful opportunity, or wish to forward a cover letter and current resume for consideration, please contact:
Chris Sawyer, Partner, Amrop Knightsbridge - 1 416 640 4312 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Collin MacLeod, Partner, LHH Knightsbridge - 1-416-928-4534 - email@example.com
Laura Wickware, Consultant, LHH Knightsbridge - 1-416-640-4317 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Ambar Maqsood, Project Administrator - 1-416-928-4612 - email@example.com