DIVISION CHIEF, Rheumatology
The Department of Medicine at the University of Calgary, in conjunction with Alberta Health Services, invites applications for a full-time Rheumatologist at the rank of Associate of Full Professor to lead the Division of Rheumatology in the Cumming School of Medicine. This leadership position is intended to provide scholarly direction, organization and coordination of clinical, research and educational programs within a strong multidisciplinary and innovative research environment.
- MD, FRCPC (Rheumatology) or equivalent
- Eligibility for specialist licensure in the province of Alberta
- Established reputation for clinical excellence as a consultant rheumatologist;
- Strategic thinker with medical administrative and leadership experience;
- A track record of scholarly productivity in the areas of academic leadership, research and/or medical education.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
The Division of Rheumatology at the University of Calgary – Alberta Health Services has a membership encompassing a wide breadth of rheumatologic and academic expertise and is experiencing significant growth with 11 of its 29 members recruited in the last 5 years. Core strengths of the Division and the environment within the faculty include:
- Established clinical and academic excellence in the areas of inflammatory arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus and vasculitis.
- Support for the full range of research interests, including translational and health services research, within the seven Research Institutes of the Cumming School of Medicine. These include:
- McCaig Institute for Bone & Joint Health (https://mccaig.ucalgary.ca),
- O’Brien Institute for Public Health (https://obrieniph.uclagary.ca),
- Snyder Institute for Chronic Diseases (https://snyder.ucalgary.ca),
- Alberta Children’s Hospital Research Institute
- Libin Cardiovascular Institute of Alberta
- Arnie Charbonneau Cancer Institute,
- Hotchkiss Brain Institute
- Access to state-of-the-art clinical research infrastructure and trials support through the Centre of Mobility and Joint Health (https://mccaig.ucalgary.ca/MoJo).
- A unique electronic database (Rheum4U) to support health outcomes research, an area in which the Division of Rheumatology is a national and international leader.
- Comprehensive multidisciplinary ambulatory rheumatology at Richmond Road Diagnostic and Treatment Centre and South Health Campus. The Division is a nationally recognized leader in rheumatology models of care, championing strategies to improve access to care through central triage, and specialist link. Outpatient consultation services cover Calgary’s four adult hospitals, along with community outreach clinics, and serve a population of 1.8 million people in Southern Alberta and beyond.
- A well-respected and competitively subscribed Rheumatology residency training program, as well as opportunities for post-residency advanced fellowship training programs.
This position offers substantial (>50%) protected time for academic activities, thus allowing the incumbent ample time to pursue scholarly activities. An attractive remuneration and benefits package through the University of Calgary – Alberta Health Services Academic Medical Health Services Program will apply, and is competitive with fee-for-service billings.
The University of Calgary is a leading Canadian university. It has a clear strategic direction to become one of Canada’s top five research centers and is located in the nation’s most enterprising city. Calgary is a city of leaders – in business, community, philanthropy and volunteerism and has been named one of the best places to live in the world. The majestic Rocky Mountains are less than an hours’ drive to the west and life in the outdoors is part of the soul of the city.
A curriculum vitae, a cover letter and names of three referees should be submitted by February 28, 2019 to:
Richard Leigh, PhD, FRCPC
Professor and Head, Department of Medicine
Alberta Health Services – Calgary Zone
University of Calgary
Foothills Medical Centre
1403 29th St. NW – 930 North Tower
Calgary AB, T2N 2T9
These materials can also be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org