- Northern Health Authority
- Prince George, BC
- Job Category
- Internal Medicine/Internist
Northern Health Authority/University Hospital of Northern British Columbia
Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
The University Hospital of Northern British Columbia (UHNBC) is seeking a qualified General Internal Medicine (GIM) specialist to join our department of Internal Medicine. With the recent redesign of its service delivery model, the department of internal medicine established a division of GIM, with a total of five positions including the opportunity to serve as Division Lead (0.2 FTE). The department of Internal Medicine at UHNBC currently has over 20 members including subspecialty divisions which all participate in shared internal medicine call and the inpatient Clinical Teaching Unit (CTU).
The position of GIM specialist will involve 30-32 weeks of scheduled clinical work per year involving the following duties:
1. Provision of 16 weeks per year of inpatient services as MRP for patients
2. Participation in the inpatient daytime consult service for GIM on a rotating basis (1 week in 5)
3. Participation in GIM rapid access clinics, perioperative assessment clinic and other clinics designated as part of the GIM service
4. Participation in clinical teaching with a clinical faculty appointment
5. Participation in the general medicine shared call schedule (approx. 1 in 7)
6. Responsibility to deliver high quality service GIM unit and review the medical care and documentations provided by the clinical associate as often as needed to provide the optimal medical care
Those providing the above services will have access to the following resources:
1. Access to onsite shared GIM clinic space without overhead fees, including EMR access
2. Access to the cardiac lab with the ability to provide exercise stress testing, Holter monitor interpretation and MIBI stress testing
3. Participation in the ECG reading rota
4. Support on CTU with house staff including a GP clinical associate, senior medicine resident, family practice resident(s) and medical students
5. Support on the GIM inpatient unit with two GP clinical associates
6. The GIM clinic space is supported by a booking clerk
There is also an opportunity to apply for the GIM division Lead position. The GIM Division Lead will be a paid administrative role (0.2 FTE) for one of the four members of the division. The Division Lead will work collaboratively with the operational manager for medicine to ensure smooth co-operation with other departments and divisions and will play a critical role in the future development of GIM services at UHNBC.
UHNBC serves both the immediate population of Prince George (approx. 80,000) and is a referral center for outlying communities (total population approx. 400,000). It is the main teaching center for medical students in the Northern Medical Program and provides teaching for University of British Columbia residents in several specialties. The Department of Internal Medicine currently has 20 members, 13 of whom cover Internal Medicine. There are sub-specialties including Cardiology, Gastroenterology, Nephrology, Infectious Disease, Respirology, Neurology, Dermatology, Rheumatology and Endocrinology. It provides many specialty services including dialysis, endoscopic ultrasound, bronchoscopy, echocardiography. There is a fully equipped Intensive Care Unit which operates as a Closed Unit for physician staffing and involves many of the Internists. The BC Cancer Centre for the North is situated on the hospital site and includes radiation and medical oncology services. The ongoing development as a regional and teaching center makes this an exciting time to join the medical community in Prince George.
Prince George is the center of business, education, health and culture for northern BC, servicing an approx. rural population of 400,000 over an area of 600,000 square kilometers. Affordable housing, short commutes, a vibrant arts & culture community, and outstanding recreational opportunities make Prince George a desirable community to call home. A paradise for outdoor recreation; mountain biking, hiking, kayaking in the summer, and 41 ft. of powder in the winter are just a few of the options for adventure seekers!
If rewarding professional opportunities and an outstanding lifestyle are your priority, we look forward to hearing from you soon!
1475 Edmonton Street
Prince George, BC
In order to be eligible for licensure in BC, your postgraduate training must meet the requirements of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia. Post graduate training must be obtained from an accredited and approved training program in a jurisdiction sanctioned by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. Please refer to the attached PDF for a listing of those countries: http://www.royalcollege.ca/portal/page/portal/rc/common/documents/credentials/jurisdictions_e.html
Please contact Health Match BC to determine your options to become eligible for BC licensure. http://www.healthmatchbc.org/Physicians.aspx