Deputy Provincial Health Officer
Provincial Health Services Authority
Are you a highly experienced senior leader committed to ensuring high quality, accessible health services for all British Columbians? PHSA is actively recruiting for a Deputy Provincial Health Officer (DPHO). This crucial position will be seconded to the Ministry of Health, and will report directly to the Provincial Health Officer (PHO).
The DPHO provides consultative advice on public health programs and policies and assists the PHO in promoting and monitoring the health and wellness of British Columbians.
Working in a high profile environment, the DPHO must keep apprised on a broad range of public health issues and provide information, analysis and expertise to the Minister, government officials, general public, media, and other stakeholders – often on short notice. The DPHO participates in numerous committees in various capacities and represent the PHO’s participation as required.
Under the authority of the Interpretation Act, the PHO and DPHO work closely with the Assistant Deputy Minister of the Population and Public Health Division within the Ministry of Health, the BC Centre for Disease Control, regional Medical Health Officers (MHOs), the BC First Nations Health Authority, the Public Health Agency of Canada, and Health Canada.
What you’ll do
- Support the PHO in the establishment and monitoring of professional standards for approximately 25 MHOs across the province.
- Interpret legislation and regulations that provide authorities for the PHO and MHOs including the Public Health Act, School Act, Community Charter; Local Government Act, Community Care and Assisted Living Act, Drinking Water Protection Act, Environmental Management Act and associated regulations.
- Under the Drinking Water Protection Act, lead the preparation of an annual drinking water protection report to the Ministry of Health.
- Provide input into the PHO’s annual report and develop reports on special topics and issues.
- Organize and administer projects and programs of the Office of the Provincial Health Officer:
- Provide professional data collection, epidemiological analysis, and develop reports on a wide range of health issues.
- Participate on project management teams within the ministry or on government-wide project management teams to provide expertise on public health issues.
- Contribute to the preparation of the PHO’s annual report to the Minister and Legislative Assembly.
- Provide expert advice and, when required, direction to staff in the Population and Public Health Division of the Ministry of Health related to a wide range of public health issues or emergency situations. Participate in emergency planning, exercises and related events.
- Provide functional professional guidance to MHOs and staff at the BC Centre for Disease Control.
- Promote health goals and facilitate strategies to address them in conjunction with the PHO.
- Liaise with stakeholders and colleagues to discuss issues and concerns and propose solutions.
What you bring
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada – Community Medicine, Public Health and Preventive Medicine or equivalent.
- Medical Doctor with current (or eligible for) registration from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC.
- Master’s degree in Public Health, Health Sciences or equivalent.
- Extensive clinical practice experience and extensive public health related experience preferably in Canada.
- Post graduate training in health service management, research experience and some published material on community or public health is preferred.
- Strong senior leadership experience with demonstrated ability to motivate, empower and lead employees, promote empowerment, provide opportunities for growth, and manage and effect change.
- Ability to think creatively about population and public health services and their delivery, and to engage others in discussions that produce results;
- Adept at analyzing complex issues, preparing concise reports, and resolving sensitive issues with tact, discretion, and thoroughness.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and vast experience in building strong networks throughout BC and Canada.
- Proven ability to collaborate, communicate, facilitate, liaise, and work effectively with all levels of government, corporations, media, and the general public – often in stressful situations.
Please note that this position will be based in Victoria, BC. Travel is a requirement of this position.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement
- Perks including onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
To apply for this rewarding opportunity, click here!
For more information, contact Linda Hand, Manager, Talent Acquisition, Clinical Services at email@example.com
What we do
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates selected specialty and province-wide health care services across BC, working with the five geographic health authorities to deliver province-wide solutions that improve the health of British Columbians. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: https://jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and strives to create a safe, inclusive, and welcoming environment.
Closing Date: August 23, 2019
Ref # PHSA_DPHOVIC