Vice President, Medical Affairs
- Halton Healthcare
- Oakville, ON
- Job Category
- Administration, Family Medicine/General Practice
- Job Type
Vice President, Medical Affairs
Halton Healthcare is a leading multi-site healthcare organization with an outstanding record of performance, fiscal accountability and, most importantly, quality patient care. Situated in one of Canada’s fastest growing areas, Halton Healthcare is keeping pace with the growth in their communities. The organization’s three community hospitals are integral to the health and wellness of their communities and resolute about delivering responsive, safe and exceptional care to their patients.
In 2017, Halton Healthcare completed its third major infrastructure project, marking $3.36B in capital projects including its new, state-of-the-art, 1.6 million square-foot hospital in Oakville, a new Emergency and Diagnostic Imaging department at the Georgetown Hospital, and the expanded Milton District Hospital, adding 330,000 square feet of new patient-centred space and more than doubling the number of inpatient beds. The conclusion of these projects brings close to a decade worth of planning and successful delivery of significant healthcare infrastructure, which continues to ensure a healthy future, and meet the needs of the growing population of the community.
Halton Healthcare’s Strategic Plan, Pathway 2020, focuses on the vision of Exemplary patient experiences, always and three strategic priorities of innovation, collaboration and empowerment. Halton Healthcare is committed to transforming the community hospital experience by engaging patients and their families and advancing leading practices as part of an integrated health system.
As a result of significant organizational growth and a subsequent review of the physician leadership structure, Halton Healthcare is evolving their medical leadership structure to meet their organizational and system needs. Beginning with the recruitment of a new Chief of Staff (resulting from a retirement), followed by the recruitment of a newly created Vice President, Medical Affairs role, Halton Healthcare is positioning themselves to develop, enhance and evolve their clinical programs and services through strengthening their investment in physician engagement and leadership. Strengthening the medical leadership structure signals Halton Healthcare’s commitment to building internal capacity, leveraging system partnerships, and achieving exemplary clinical excellence and patient-centred care.
For additional information about Halton Healthcare, visit their website at http://www.haltonhealthcare.com.
In this newly created role, reporting to the President and CEO, and working in close partnership with the Chief of Staff and Senior Vice President, Clinical Programs/Chief Nursing Executive, the new Vice President, Medical Affairs (VPMA) will provide leadership and guidance to the Physician Program Directors, along with select medical leaders and Medical Directors in an evolving medical leadership organizational structure. Accountable for advancing a range of strategic and operational corporate initiatives, the VPMA will be integral to supporting mandates in medical affairs, quality improvement, medical informatics, academic and research partnerships. As a passionate advocate for clinical excellence, the VPMA will lead and support a highly dedicated team of physicians inspired to advance seamless integrated care across a continuum of health system partners. Working in close collaboration with the COS, the VPMA will ensure strong physician engagement by promoting and continuing to deliver best practices and high-quality services, both within and outside of the Hospital.
Key leadership initiatives for the new VP will be to:
- Provide inspiration, direction and support for Medical Leadership and professional staff in a range of activities related to quality, clinical service planning, academic endeavors, physician recruitment and retention.
- As part of the Senior Leadership Team, co-lead transformative initiatives including strategic planning, partnerships/integration opportunities, academic activities and continuous quality improvement across the continuum of the patient journey.
- Collaborate with the Senior Vice President, Clinical Programs/Chief Nursing Executive and the Chief of Staff on program/clinical service planning strategies designed to optimize the patient experience such as the health information system implementation and the establishment of an Ontario Health Team.
- Partner and build relationships with internal and external providers, clinicians, teams, stakeholders and leaders to ensure optimal team performance and the provision of the highest quality and safest care to patients and families.
- Continue to support and empower a tri-site, physician engagement and participation strategy that reinforces diversity, inclusivity, accountability and patient-centeredness.
- Co-lead initiatives with the Senior Leadership Team that help to achieve the three strategic directions: Innovate; Collaborate; Empower.
You are a physician licensed by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario or eligible for licensure. You are an experienced, inclusive and visionary leader with credentials and experience in both medical leadership and clinical practice. You are assertive, fair, and highly regarded in your field of medical practice and have a breadth of medical leadership experience in formal leadership roles. Equally comfortable in the clinical and administrative environments, you understand the needs of physicians in hospitals, and can support them in change management and opportunities for integrated care. You possess superb interpersonal, communication (oral and written), negotiation and change management skills and have a history of providing leadership to and team building with clinical staff. Recognized as an effective change leader and successful in building relationships, you have demonstrated your commitment to quality improvement and broader systems-level change. You provide strategic leadership in an evolving, patient centred healthcare organization and industry, partnering with multi-level internal and external stakeholders.
To confidentially explore this opportunity, please email your resume, quoting the appropriate position title, to Judy Mandelman, at email@example.com.