Glistening water below lush mountains, dotted with parks frame the Okanagan's largest and liveliest population centre; Kelowna. Okanagan Lake is the perfect place to sail, kayak, or relax on the beach. Rolling greens offer world class golfing, minutes away from spectacular hiking and biking trails. In the winter enjoy ski resorts and skating rinks right at your fingertips. Decorated with heritage buildings and modern architecture, Kelowna offers something for everyone with orchards, vineyards and all the amenities of a major centre. From restaurants, and shops, to art galleries, live music and theatre, this city has it all. Come and experience our four seasons playground and see why life is better here.
Facility Details — Kelowna General Hospital:
Kelowna General Hospital (KGH) is one of two tertiary hospitals within Interior Health and is the region’s main referral center offering a full range of services with approximately 400 beds and over 84,000 ED visits yearly. Kelowna General Hospital is home to the Interior Heart & Surgical Centre (IHSC) which opened in 2015 and is BC’s only cardiac critical care centre outside of Victoria and the Lower Mainland. IHSC is Kelowna General Hospital’s principal surgical site and features; 12 specialized Operating Rooms created for Thoracic, Urology, Neurosurgery, Vascular, Plastics, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Ears Nose and Throat, Orthopedics, General and Trauma surgeries with 2 ORs dedicated to Cardiac Surgery. Our state of the art Centennial Building also recently opened and boasts a total of 360,000 square feet, an expanded emergency and ambulatory care department, modern operating rooms and a rooftop helipad. KGH is also a teaching centre for the Southern Medical Program affiliated with UBC. With the state-of-the-art Interior Heart & Surgical Centre and new medical inpatient units in the Centennial Building, dedicated psychiatry units for youth and adults, a modern maternity ward, enhanced laboratory and clinical departments in the new Dr. Walter Anderson Building, and an academic campus that serves as a satellite for the University of British Columbia Medical School, KGH has become one of BC’s leading healthcare centres.
The Kelowna General Hospital is expanding its Ophthalmology program and is seeking an Ophthalmologist with a retina sub-specialty to join their team! The ideal candidate will have the ability to perform viteoretinal surgery on elective basis, in addition to emergency surgery for any necessary vitreoretinal conditions. Although the focus will be primarily retina based care, there may be a requirement to participate in more comprehensive ophthalmologic care.
In addition the candidate should be familiar with and be able to manage the following vitreoretinal problems:
• Elective - ERM (epiretinal membrane) macular hole, retinal detachment electively, diabetic eye disease, uveitis, post trauma vitreoretinal issues
• Complicated cataracts including primary management of dense, hyper-mature, and traumatic cataracts and cataracts associated with shallow anterior chambers requiring combined cataract surgery and vitrectomy, also able to manage dislocated intraocular lenses including scleral fixation of IOL‘s
• Emergency - retinal detachment acute management including pneumatic retinopexy and scleral buckle procedures, complications from cataract surgery, endophthalmitis, choroidal hemorrhage, and subretinal hemorrhage.
The successful applicant would ideally start by fall 2019, but the start date is negotiable. Call expectations are 1 in 4, with possible daytime back up for retina specific problems.
Apply today to live, work and play where others only vacation. It’s better here!
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Canada (FRCPC)
- Doctorate in Medicine
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia: Full or Provisional Licensure
- CMPA Coverage
- Retinal Fellowship
- Hours of work: Full Time
- On call requirements: 1:4
- Payment Structure
- Fee for Service
- Estimated Gross Income
- Competitive, plus level 2 MOCAP
- % share of clinic overhead costs
- To be discussed
- Additional Incentives
- Relocation assistance up to $10,000 maximum or $15,000 maximum if move is over 3000kms/international (with eligible receipts)