Position Title - Senior Medical Officer, Population Health (Term)
Location - located anywhere in BC, with travel to Vancouver on occasion
Full-time, Temporary position
The First Nations Health Authority is a diverse and transformational health organization of professional, innovative and dedicated team members and leaders.
The first of its kind in Canada, FNHA works as a health-and-wellness partner with BC First Nations to support self-determination and decision-making to improve health outcomes.
JOIN OUR HISTORIC JOURNEY
At FNHA, you’ll have the opportunity to contribute to BC’s history. With a unique governing structure and mandate, our fluid work environment means you can play an active role in real change.
Our talented teams value respect and foster lateral kindness in their working relationships. Our holistic approach to wellness, based on First Nations teachings, is incorporated into all aspects of work culture. Where else will you get to create a personal wellness plan as part of your performance goals?
Provides centralized and strategic focus to promote and protect the health and wellness of BC First Nation peoples and communities. Operates as a subject matter expert (SME) on health policy and population and public health in a First Nations context and as a champion for the First Nations philosophy and approach to mental health and wellness. The broad areas of leadership for this position are Mental Health and Wellness, Population Health, Health and Wellness Promotion, Environmental Health, Health Surveillance and Communicable Disease and Management. Provides day-to-day leadership and supervision of the clinical function in the CMO department.
This is a term position for up to 2 years.
1. Provides physician leadership and strategic advice related to the implementation of population health services for BC First Nations on a provincial, regional, and local scale, as needed, to serve the needs of the OCMO.
2. Provides direct supervision and leadership to the physicians and staff within the clinical function of the CMO department.
3. Builds and maintains strong partnerships and networks to ensure sustained collaboration and focus on First Nations health and wellness. Works in collaboration with a diverse and wide array of health system partners regionally, nationally and internationally, and acts in an advocacy role for First Nations in BC.
4. Provides subject matter expertise including primary care knowledge, insight, and information to members of the FNHA.
5. Provides expert advice on population health and cultural safety and humility for the BC First Nations population.
6. Provides clinical support to FNHA Health Benefits department.
7. Provides on-call services on a rotating basis with other medical officers. Provides clinical expertise to emergency planning and response.
8. Participates fully in systemic health services planning processes and maintains communications with other health care providers, government and professional health organizations to ensure reasonable access to provincial programs and services to achieve improved health and wellness outcomes for BC First Nations.
9. Provides expert medical and health and wellness advice.
10. Interpret health and wellness data
a. Identify recommendations based on current data
b. Develop and support health surveillance information and strategy development
c. Improve the access to high quality health and wellness information and data for client and health care improvement, planning, evaluation and analysis
11. Assists with medical oversight and quality assurance of medical and health and wellness practice and clinical services delivered by family physicians, nurses, specialists, and other service providers to First Nations people and communities.
12. Works in support of the CEO, CMO, and in collaboration with COO and Regional Directors, representing the FNHA on external committees and organizations, at media events and to community groups on public health issues or emergencies affecting the health of BC First Nations people.
13. Provides a medical and health and wellness leadership perspective on First Nations health and wellness programs and services including strategic and operational plans.
14. Expected and trusted to develop a greater depth of understanding and knowledge of First Nations culture.
15. Understands and respects First Nations cultural principles and protocols and apply this understanding in work situations.
16. Performs other related duties as assigned.
• A Medical Degree recognized in Canada or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
• Eligible for a license to practice medicine in BC, in good standing with the relative regulatory body
• Significant, recent and relevant medical practice experience (usually acquired over a period of three years or more)
• Significant, recent and relevant medical practice in an Aboriginal or Indigenous setting is an asset (usually acquired over a period of three years or more)
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
• Current knowledge of health and wellness, medical practice issues and understanding of concepts and models of care and delivery of care for First Nation/Aboriginal/Indigenous clients and communities
• Sound knowledge of leading issues related to health and wellness particularly as it concerns First Nations in BC
• Knowledge of practice standards for primary care physicians
• Knowledge of legislation and regulation governing medical practice especially with regards to primary care
• Knowledge of health and wellness and primary care practices internationally including health and wellness organizations and current issues to assess their relevance and impact on the Canadian health system, including knowledge of leading edge initiatives and advances in Aboriginal/Indigenous health programming in other countries (e.g. the United States, Australia and New Zealand), to identify best practices that may be applicable to BC First Nations and the FNHA’s community health and wellness programs and services
• Is expected and trusted to develop a depth of understanding and knowledge of First Nations culture
• Physical ability to perform the duties of the position
• Demonstrated ability to work at the full scope of the license
• Demonstrated skills in critical thinking and analysis related to strategic planning and policy development
• Ability to negotiate, influence and persuade effectively, with respect and ensuring cultural safety and competence
• Ability to operate consistently as a collaborative team player
• Ability to lead with visionary influence, demonstrating both initiative and flexibility,
• Ability to manage projects and project teams
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, including making presentations, ensuring tailoring to varied and specific audiences
• Ability to operate independently with the highest degree of integrity and accountability
• Strong interpersonal skills and competencies
• Motivated, self-confident, innovative
The First Nations Health Authority is committed to respecting diversity within our workforce; preference will be given to individuals with Indigenous ancestry (First Nations, Inuit, Métis).
What You Can Expect From Us
Joining our family means joining an organization that supports personal growth, in-house training, a paid volunteer day and a unique full-day orientation program.
Leading with culture, all FNHA employees complete San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training. We support our family to be leaders in wellness and all staff members develop a yearly wellness plan as part of their performance partnership and goal-setting.
Please note that only those applicants shortlisted will be contacted. If you do not hear from us about this position, please accept our sincere appreciation for your interest in FNHA!
For more information about us, please visit: www.fnha.ca/about/work-with-us
If you have any inquiries or issues please contact FNHA Recruitment at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-844-699-3186.
More search results
Seton Family Healthcare
Academic Minimally Invasive Surgeon
Nova Scotia Health Authority, Dalhousie University
Interventional Cardiologist Professor
Vice President, Medical Affairs, Research and Aca…
William Osler Health System
Triple P Medical Solutions