- Mental Health Unit, Anishnawbe Health Toronto
- $188.00 hourly for 21 hours weekly
- Job Category
Anishnawbe Health Toronto
Our mission: to improve the health and well-being of Aboriginal People in spirit, mind, emotion and body by providing Traditional Healing within a multidisciplinary health care model.
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Psychiatrist (Service Agreement for Three Days Weekly)
Anishnawbe Health Toronto, a fully accredited community health centre, offers access to health care practitioners from many disciplines including Traditional Healers, Elders and Medicine People. We are recruiting for a part-time Psychiatrist to work with our multidisciplinary mental health team. This is a unique opportunity to work in a culture-based environment providing holistic health care.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Complete psychiatric assessments, diagnose and treat clients experiencing mental health, cognitive, emotional and behavioural disorders. Treat or direct treatment of clients, utilizing a variety of psychotherapeutic methods and where necessary medications
- Work within a culture-based framework that uses Traditional teachings and healing methods
- Consult with Elders, Medicine People, Traditional Counselors, and senior psychiatric clinicians as necessary for optimal, coordinated and integrated care, treatment, referral, discharge and follow-up of assigned and referred clients
- Interact with clients in a therapeutic and responsible manner and collaborate with them in determining an appropriate healing path
- Maintain a high level of ethical conduct regarding confidentiality, relationships, and associations with participants.
- Assist with supervision, program development and evaluation; participate in quality improvement initiatives and support research projects, as required.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Certification with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and licensed with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, with a Specialist certificate in psychiatry
- Understanding of issues affecting Aboriginal peoples in an urban context
- Minimum of two years of experience working in a multidisciplinary team environment
- Commitment, respect, understanding and knowledge of Traditional healing
- Experience with Aboriginal culture, traditions, teachings and ceremonies
- Knowledge of health and other issues facing the Aboriginal community such as the effects of the post-colonial and residential school syndromes
How to Apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com, in a single document, with your name and “Psychiatrist” in the document name. If you have questions about the process, please call 416-920-2605 x.324
CLOSING DATE: November 9, 2020
Anishnawbe Health Toronto offers competitive compensation and a supportive workplace environment
Applicants who self-identify as Aboriginal and meet the requirements of the job posting will be given first consideration in the hiring process
Anishnawbe Health Toronto is committed to diversity and values the contribution of its employees from diverse backgrounds and experiences. We welcome applications from Aboriginal persons, visible minority group members, women, persons with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups, and others who contribute to greater diversity of perspectives.
(If you are invited for an interview and require accommodation, please let us know)
Meegwetch to all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
More search results
Head, Department of Surgery
Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University
Developmental & General Paediatricians
Chief Physician Recruiter
Medical Society of Prince Edward Island
Family Medicine & Walk-In Physicians
The Health Clinic by Shoppers
Staff Surgeon, Division of Plastic, Reconstructiv…
The Hospital for Sick Children