Chair/Chief, Department of Pediatrics
Seeking a pediatric leader to join a world class child and youth health center and thriving university department as Chief and Chair of the Department of Pediatrics at CHEO and the University of Ottawa Faculty of Medicine (FoM). Every year CHEO helps more than 500,000 children and youth from Eastern Ontario, western Quebec, Nunavut and Northern Ontario. We do so through the commitment of our medical staff and faculty members whether it be on the front line of our clinical care or through our academic endeavors. In addition to the services CHEO provides itself, we also deliver a growing number of programs in partnership with other organizations and providers, including through the Kids Come First Health Team.
The University of Ottawa is Canada’s largest bilingual institution of higher learning and research. The FoM offers a wide range of competitive educational and research programs in a dynamic learning environment with state-of-the art facilities. The Faculty is recognized as a national leader in medical education and ranks among the top faculties of medicine worldwide for research intensity and impact.
CHEO and the FoM place a very high value on teaching and make significant contributions at all levels. We contribute to supervising close to 60,000 trainee days over the course of the academic year (undergraduate, postgraduate and graduate and postdoctoral studies). The Department is also highly successful in the acquisition of research funding including with competitive funding programs. Our clinician-investigators and scientists continue to be leaders in a wide array of areas aligned with the priorities of both CHEO and the FoM.
The successful candidate will be a member of CHEO’s Executive Leadership Team and an active member of the operational management of the hospital, serving as the overall pediatric medical lead. The successful candidate will also be a member of the FoM’s Senior Leadership Team. The successful candidate will need to be able to work with partners to: i) develop new models to build, manage and deliver services to kids and families ;and ii) support and enhance the academic mission of the Department through multiple on-going and emerging initiatives.
The successful candidate will lead the Department of Pediatrics with its:
• National and international leaders in clinical care, education and research;
• Extensive undergraduate, postgraduate, and fellowship training programs as well as its commitment to graduate and postdoctoral training;
• Demonstrated commitment to shared patient/caregiver decision-making in the spirit of “nothing about us without us”;
• Commitment to safety, quality, system improvement, equity, diversity and inclusion.
Applicants must meet the following qualifications:
• A leader with a proven record of engaging teams, delivery of clinical services, proven hospital operations management and academic performance;
• Demonstrated vision for child and youth health through leading a strong, diverse, forward-thinking department of professionals;
• A seasoned leader with a demonstrated track record of academic and research excellence;
• An experienced individual who will promote and sustain innovation and collaborative partnerships across the broader FoM;
• Eligible for appointment at the academic rank of Associate or Full Professor;
• In good standing with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (FRCPC), or equivalent;
• Eligibility for medical licensure in Ontario; and
• Fluency in English or French (the university’s official languages) and working knowledge of the other is required.
You are invited to forward a letter of intent and CV by December 14, 2020 to:
Dean's Office, Faculty of Medicine
451 Smyth Road, room 3029, Ottawa ON K1H 8M5
Tel: 613-562-5800 ext.8697, E-mail: jdale@uOttawa.ca