Chief Medical Information Officer
Chief Medical Information Officer
Location: Negotiable within Alberta
Requisition #: ALB00173021
Salary Range: $131.50 - $241.94 per hour
Job Type: Regular Full Time
The Chief Medical Information Officer (CMIO) plays a key role within the AHS senior leadership team. Reporting to the Vice President Quality & Chief Medical Officer, and forming a triad with the Chief Information Officer (CIO), and the Senior Program Officer – Connect Care, the CMIO co-leads the development of a steady-state clinical IT and informatics strategy, while communicating project and operational issues to clinical business leaders and clinicians and promoting clinical improvement and innovation. The CMIO directs and oversees engagement of physician communities in the five AHS zones, building awareness and opportunities for meaningful physician CIS adoption. The Connect Care clinical information system (CIS) brings together 1,300 separate health information systems. The CMIO is responsible for further deployment of Connect Care throughout Alberta, ensuring stabilization, optimization and continued adoption of existing deployments by physicians.
This position could be a 0.8 FTE Regular part-time position or a Regular Full-time position.
The Chief Medical Information Officer (CMIO) builds and nurtures key relationships with provincial stakeholders (e.g. the Alberta Medical Association, Alberta Health, the Primary Care Alliance, post-secondary academic institutions), and represents AHS informational requirements and expectations to external physician groups. The CMIO chairs or participates in senior committees (AHS, AH, stakeholders, etc.) relevant to clinical informatics. The CMIO meets regularly with IT and clinical operations personnel and participates in committees for strategy development, clinical systems deployment, operations and support. Seeking to inform benefits realization and harm reduction related to clinical information system use, the CMIO collaborates with clinical business and AHS strategy leadership to provide direction for education, adoption and optimization of clinical informatics province wide.
For this position, an applicant must have certification by one of the following professional bodies: the College of Family Physicians of Canada, the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, the Royal College of Dentists of Canada or an equivalent professional body.
In addition, the successful applicant will have the following key requirements, although a combination of experience may be considered:
- At least 5 years’ governance experience in medical informatics in a healthcare environment.
- Minimum of 5 years’ successful experience in senior administrative or program management roles.
- Direct experience in health information system implementation.
Additional Required Qualifications:
- Proven success as an adaptive strategic leader who can be both resolute and flexible, with the ability to react strategically to environmental shifts.
- Management skills, including demonstrated ability and comfort with decision-making responsibilities, coaching and teaching, and the ability to inspire and build confidence in others.
- Effective communicator with strong organizational skills, client focused orientation and commitment to providing long term quality services.
- Proven ability to effectively articulate and promote the vision to frontline physicians and clinicians about clinical informatics and its ability to improve quality and safe patient care.
- Success in using engagement, collaboration, and support, to build a network of committed and motivated Clinical Informatics physicians.
- Experience developing robust, efficient, and effective change management processes for incorporating informatics tools and techniques into the clinical practice.
- Experience facilitating effective clinical system design that addresses prescriber needs.
- Experience prioritizing strategic and operational initiatives.
- Proven success in working collaboratively and effectively with external stakeholders.