Across our three hospitals and eight satellite sites, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is shaping the future of care. Our many programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada’s most vibrant and diverse communities. We are home to North America’s largest nephrology program, as well as the designated cardiac care and spine center for Scarborough and surrounding communities to the east. We are proud to be a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto and partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals.
The Departments of Family Medicine and Surgery at Scarborough Health Network are seeking a Hospitalist (General Practitioner) to join our Trauma team. The successful candidate will be working with a strong, supportive and collegial group of colleagues in a three-site hospital organization committed to providing high quality, comprehensive clinical services. As a staff Hospitalist, you will partner with the orthopedic surgeons and be based primarily at the General hospital.
RESPONSIBILITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY
The hospitalist will consult with the Orthopedic Surgeon who will be the MRP during surgery. Following surgery, the hospitalist resumes MRP duties. There will always be an Orthopedic Surgeon available to the Hospitalist for assistance. Day to day care is the responsibility of the Hospitalist, supported by the Orthopedic Division.
The Hospitalist’s responsibilities include:
• Dedicated ward coverage in order to consistently meet length of stay and discharge targets.
• Participate in multi-disciplinary daily rounds and as required.
• Completion of History and Physical (H&Ps) for all patients admitted to the orthopedic unit at the General Campus.
• Communicate with care providers for patients both internal and external to the hospital.
• Respond respectfully and in an appropriate time frame with respect to medical/surgical concerns for patients brought forward by the patient or the treatment team. This will require judgment calls with respect to treating the concerns while the patient is in hospital, with appropriate use of hospital resources including consultation with specialist colleagues or deferring to outpatient care where appropriate.
• Contribute to completion of Med-Rec on admission and discharge to increase quality of care and patient satisfaction.
• Participate in meetings/committees ad hoc as it pertains to ortho-surgical patients and/or other related activities.
• Be available for consultation with professional colleagues and attend staff and departmental meetings within the Hospital.
• Perform such duties and services as may be reasonably assigned by the Department Chief and Surgical Director.
• Comply with intradepartmental rules.
• Demonstrate understanding of, compliance with, and commitment to patient safety responsibilities and corresponding program plans, policies and procedures in order to ensure a safe environment for patients.
The Hospitalist is accountable to the Division Head of Orthopedics, Chief of Surgery and to the Chief of Family Medicine.
This position is an OHIP-funded position, and the Hospitalist is responsible for his own billings.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. The expectation is respectful communication with all members of the multi-disciplinary team.
• Ability to work both independently and as a team member within a group environment.
• Proven attendance record.
• Ability to perform the essential duties of the job as listed in roles and responsibilities.
• Demonstrates and models behaviors consistent with SHN’s mission, vision and values.
• Commitment to providing an exceptional experience for patients and staff within a fast paced health care environment.
• Demonstrates understanding of contribution to patient and staff safety and understand principles of a patient centered health care system.
• Must be eligible for independent practice licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO).
• Must hold certification by the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC).
We invite all interested and qualified candidates to submit an expression of interest and current CV to: email@example.com.
Posting Closing Date: January 24, 2021
We thank all qualified physicians for their submissions however only successful candidates who qualify will be contacted to attend a pre-application interview. All appointments are subject to an Impact Analysis and Board approval. The hospital reserves the right not to appoint anyone to this position.