Cardiac Surgeon Assistant
The Winnipeg Regional Health Authority Cardiac Surgery Department is inviting applications for a Cardiac Surgeon Assistant to fill a labour shortage in Manitoba.
This is a permanent full-time position with main duties of the position that include: first assist duties on all adult cardiac cases, performing patient history and examinations, medical management of a cardiac patient, and training of other healthcare professionals. The position also provides week day and weekend call coverage. All job duties must be completed in English.
St. Boniface Hospital’s Cardiac Surgery Department performs over 1000 cases annually. A first assistant role is to assist in all cases including a full complement of CABG, Valves, TAVI, TEVAR, ECMO, and VAD surgical procedures. There is an attached Research Institute and we are a highly engaged and successful clinical and basic science research group. The first assistant will have to keep up to date on all current clinical studies, recommendations, procedures and equipment.
The successful candidate must hold a Doctor of Medicine Degree with specialization in cardiac surgery. The successful candidate must be eligible for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba. The successful candidate will have at least two years experience in Cardiac Surgery; have technical expertise with all cardiac surgery procedures in both non-urgent and emergency situations; a full understanding of cardiopulmonary bypass and extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO).
Necessary skills/attributes for this position include (but not limited to):
- As first assistant, responsible for retrieval of vascular tissue, performing femoral vessel cut-down for emergent bypass, utilizing endoscopic retrieval methods for revascularization conduit harvesting, ability to percutaneously access the femoral vessels for cannulation for monitoring and/or cannulation for CPB or extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) and other duties delegated by the cardiac surgeon
- In-depth knowledge of all instruments used for conventional and minimally invasive cardiac surgery procedures
• Has the fine motor dexterity to use all surgical instruments required in a cardiac surgery case. Included chest opening, closing, suturing, tying, cannula placement, suctioning, dressing application, suture knowledge, skin and wound closure knowledge and competent skills.
• Has content knowledge of conduit cardiac operating room including (but not limited to): understanding the sequence of events for initiating and discontinuing cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB) as well as extensive knowledge of the functioning of the CPB machine, determining the amount of conduit (i.e. vein, radial artery or internal mammary artery) amount of vein required for a bypass, extensive coronary catheterization, CT scans, echocardiography and other relevant cardiac imaging/testing relevant to the case.
• Has extensive knowledge of the pharmacologic effects of vasoactive and/or cardioactive drugs, ventilator management, artificial cardiac devices and mechanical circulatory support (MCS
Compensation is derived from fee-for-service income which can range between $200,000 to $350,000 per annum approximately (this position does not come with any medical, dental, disability, pension or any other benefits). Specialty Physicians may be eligible for a recruitment incentive. Please contact email@example.com for further information.
Primary Site Location
St. Boniface Hospital – 409 Tache Avenue Winnipeg, MB R2H 2A6
The WRHA is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from women, racialized persons, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadian citizens and Canadian permanent residents will be given priority.
Apply for this position at MB Healthcare Providers Network, competition # 826
Posted February 22, 2021
More search results
Resident Physician Haines Junction, Yukon
Government of Yukon
Large Signing Bonus for Qualified General Practit…
KING SQUARE MEDICAL CENTRE
QEII Health Sciences Centre Foundation Endowed Ch…
Department of Medicine, Dalhousie/NSHA
The Health Clinic by Shoppers™ - Family Medicine …
The Health Clinic by Shoppers
Earl Russell Chair in Pain Management
Western University Dept of Anesthesia & Perioperative Medicine