- Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development
- Job Category
- Medical Scientist
- Job Type
The Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development (MLTSD), Fair, Safe and Healthy Workplaces Division, Occupational Health and Safety Branch, plays a critical role in supporting Ontario's Occupational Health & Safety (OH&S) mandate. In addition to providing strategic direction, and technical and operational support to regional offices, the division fulfils legislated obligations by developing enforcement strategies within the OH&S framework.
We are seeking two strategic and results-oriented Medical Consultants to provide medical expertise in occupational health and safety, and ensure policies and programs are effective in protecting workers from injury, illness and/or disease.
PLEASE NOTE: The ministry may give consideration for the successful candidates to work from one of the following locations. Travel to areas of the province will be required.
• 505 University Avenue, Toronto (Headquarter Office)
• 5001 Yonge Street, North York
• 2275 Midland Avenue, Scarborough
• 119 King Street W., Hamilton
• 217 York Street, London
• 4273 King Street E., Kitchener
• 4510 Rhodes Drive, Windsor
• 1290 Central Pkwy W., Mississauga
• 301 St. Paul Street, St. Catharines
• 17345 Leslie Street, Newmarket
• 51 Heakes Ln, Kingston
• 300 Water St, Peterborough
• 347 Preston Street, Ottawa
• 200 First Avenue West, North Bay
• 159 Cedar Street, Sudbury
• 5520 Highway 101 East, Timmins
• 435 James Street South, Thunder Bay
• 70 Foster Drive, Sault Ste Marie
This position is part of the Association of Ontario Physicians and Dentists in Public Service.
What can I expect to do in this role?
Under the direction of the Provincial Physician and Senior Medical Consultant, you will:
• Provide medical expertise and consultative advice, and contribute to research in the following key areas: OH&S medical program planning, delivery and monitoring, and OH&S medical policy framework, to ensure workers are protected under the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA)
• Support the OHSA Section 21 Committees and Prevention Council by providing medical expertise, advice and recommendations to the Minister on health and safety protections
• Provide consultative and functional expertise as a member/chair on occupational medicine committees, inter-ministry, federal/provincial and international committees, associations and/or task forces
• Conduct field inspections and investigations, and provide advice and support to the inspectorate
• Establish and maintain strategic partnerships with key stakeholders to proactively identify priorities, exchange ideas and raise the profile of worker health and safety
• Represent the ministry in handling sensitive issues and serve as an expert witness at appeals and in court
Location: Hamilton, Kingston, Kitchener, London, Mississauga, Newmarket, North Bay, North York, Ottawa, Peterborough, Sault Ste. Marie, Scarborough, St. Catharines, Sudbury, Thunder Bay, Timmins, Toronto, Windsor
How do I qualify?
• You have a degree in medicine from a university of recognized standing, and a CPSO licence to practise medicine in Ontario
Specialized Knowledge and Experience
• You have knowledge of the theories, principles, practices and current developments of occupational medicine, usually obtained through Fellowship in Occupational Medicine from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, or Certification by the Canadian Board of Occupational Medicine, or a post-graduate degree/diploma in Occupational Health and Safety, or an equivalent degree with experience in the field
• You have knowledge of the changing workplace environment, conditions, needs, processes and techniques in a variety of mining, construction, industrial and health care sectors
• You have a broad knowledge and understanding of toxicology, epidemiology, bio-statistics, occupational hygiene and industrial/health care workplace processes and problems
• You have research, analytical, evaluation and problem-solving skills to conduct medical occupational health and safety research and evidence-review activities
• You have written and oral communication skills to provide professional medical expertise in the form of advice, consultations, reports, recommendations and training
• You have relationship management skills to develop and sustain networks and positive working relationships with key stakeholders
• You have leadership, teamwork and program management skills to participate in, or lead, program activities and committees
- 2 Permanent - Full Time, 505 University Ave, Toronto, Toronto Region or 5001 Yonge St, North York, Toronto Region or 2275 Midland Ave, Scarborough, Toronto Region or 119 King St W, Hamilton, West Region or 217 York St, London, West Region or 4273 King St E, Kitchener, West Region or 4510 Rhodes Dr, Windsor, West Region or 1290 Central Pkwy W, Mississauga, Central Region or 301 St Paul St, St Catharines, West Region or 17345 Leslie St, Newmarket, Central Region or 51 Heakes Ln, Kingston, East Region or 300 Water St, Peterborough, East Region or 347 Preston St, Ottawa, East Region or 200 First Ave W, North Bay, North Region or 159 Cedar St, Sudbury, North Region or 5520 Hwy 101 E, Timmins, North Region or 435 James St S, Thunder Bay, North Region or 70 Foster Dr, Sault Ste Marie, North Region, Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check, Driver's Licence History
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 148943, by Wednesday, May 26, 2021. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
More search results
Resident Physician Haines Junction, Yukon
Government of Yukon
Large Signing Bonus for Qualified General Practit…
KING SQUARE MEDICAL CENTRE
QEII Health Sciences Centre Foundation Endowed Ch…
Department of Medicine, Dalhousie/NSHA
The Health Clinic by Shoppers™ - Family Medicine …
The Health Clinic by Shoppers
Earl Russell Chair in Pain Management
Western University Dept of Anesthesia & Perioperative Medicine