Zone Medical Director
Help chart the course for the future and provide leadership in the delivery of high quality clinical care within Alberta Health Services’ (AHS) vibrant Calgary Zone. AHS is currently seeking a patient-oriented, dynamic, and innovative individual for the role of Calgary Zone Medical Director – the most senior medical leader in the Zone. Responsible for all medical staff related matters in the zone, and as part of a leadership dyad with the Chief Zone Officer, you will develop and implement key strategic initiatives within the Zone and province wide.
The Calgary Zone Medical Director is responsible for a budget of approximately $3.4B, 3,700 physicians and 1,250 employees under Medical Affairs, and together with the Chief Zone Officer, is responsible for 24,800 employees under Operations and 4,290 volunteers across 14 hospitals and at other facilities.
Canada’s first and largest province-wide, fully integrated health system, AHS delivers health services to over 4.4 million Albertans and is among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, Alberta’s Top 75 Employers and a top employer for young people and diversity. With endless opportunities for professional development, and comprehensive benefits, AHS is a supportive employer where you can truly thrive.
Covering an area five times bigger than Prince Edward Island and home to about 1.4 million people, Calgary Zone offers bedroom communities with a view, centered around the City of Calgary. Ranked the 5th most livable city in the world, Calgary is one of the world’s cleanest cities, and Canada’s sunniest major city. Discover outstanding public, Catholic, Francophone, charter, and private K-12 schools and 15 post-secondary institutions. Find shopping, dining, the arts and professional sports teams, just 1.5 hours’ drive from Banff National Park. Whatever your interests, you’ll find your work-life balance in Calgary.
The Zone Medical Director’s (ZMD) specific responsibilities include activities related to quality and safety, physician workforce planning, recruitment, appointments and credentialing, disciplinary actions and physician leadership development. With the Chief Zone Officer, the ZMD functions in the AHS dyad leadership model, in which a clinical operations and medical leader are partnered in a shared decision-making relationship with shared accountability for the Zone’s overall health system planning, operations and performance. In general, the Zone Medical Director ensures a clinical focus, and the Chief Zone Officer provides an operations perspective.
The Calgary zone is one of five zones within Alberta Health Services. As an integrated provincial health system, the ZMD will work alongside the other ZMDs and provincial leaders to ensure integration and alignment, not only within medical services within the Calgary zone, but with the health services offered elsewhere. Each zone works within a provincial health system to optimize quality, safety, clinician experience and health system sustainability.
Reporting jointly to the Vice President, Quality & Chief Medical Officer and Vice President & Medical Director, Clinical Operations, for AHS, the ZMD will work in close partnership with the Chief Zone Officer and be jointly accountable for providing the vision and leadership required to align and implement strategic planning, and deliver and evaluate quality, accessible, sustainable and integrated health systems in the Calgary Zone.
- Certification by the College of Family Physicians of Canada, the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, or an equivalent professional body is required.
- Progressive senior leadership experience in a healthcare environment, including five years’ experience in a senior management role in clinical services or healthcare operations.
- Successful record of achievement as a leader, including extensive experience in improvement and innovation in service delivery in large and diverse range of health functions.
- Must be a member of the AHS Medical Staff or eligible to become a member of the AHS Medical Staff.
Additional Required Qualifications:
- Proven success as an adaptive strategic leader who is able to be both resolute and flexible and be able to react strategically to environmental shifts.
- Leadership skills, including demonstrated ability and comfort with decision-making responsibilities, coaching and teaching, and the ability to inspire and build confidence in others.
- Effective interpersonal communicator including accomplished emotional intelligence, organizational skills, client-focused orientation and commitment to providing long term quality services.
- Ability to assist in the progression of medical leadership including development conversations, goal setting, and mentorship/coaching responsibilities.
- Demonstrated ability to manage change and create innovative solutions for complex and diverse issues.
- Ability to manage diverse human, financial and physical resources within a complex environment.
- Proven success in working collaboratively, inclusively and effectively by fostering solid relationships with key external stakeholders including public agencies, foundations, government, boards, committees and other partners.
- Proven ability to foster partnerships and to achieve organizational goals within a large, diverse organization.
More search results
IMMEDIATE NEED FOR A PHYSICIAN TO TAKE OVER AN EX…
The Health Clinic by Shoppers
Directeur des services professionnels
Centre intégré de santé et de services sociaux de Lanaudière-DRHCAJ-Service aux cadres
Chief, Laboratory Medicine & Laboratory Medical D…
Hamilton Health Sciences and St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton
Derma Skin institute
Chief of Staff and Vice President Medical Affairs
Brant Community Healthcare System