Occupational Medicine Physician - Specialist
Duration: Permanent, Full Time
Location: Richmond, British Columbia
We're dedicated to playing a strong leadership role in workplace injury and disease prevention in British Columbia. As an occupational medicine physician with WorkSafeBC, you'll make a difference in the lives of working people across the province. You'll partner with adjudicative staff, occupational safety and hygiene officers, and community physicians to help people who were injured at work return to work safely and regain quality of life.
We offer a flexible Monday to Friday work week, a full- or part-time schedule, and benefits and programs that support a healthy lifestyle. You can work with us an employee or through a sessional agreement - whichever is the best fit for you.
Consider joining a strong team in our Medical Services department who are committed to helping injured workers in their recovery, rehabilitation, and safe return to work and to providing service driven by our core values of integrity, accountability, partnership, and innovation. Your role will bring these values to life every day through your respectful, caring, knowledgeable, understandable, and responsive character.
As an occupational medicine physician you will:
- Provide evidence-based opinions and recommendations to our decision-making officers on issues of diagnosis, etiology, occupational exposure-disease relation, treatment, prognosis, and medical impairment and disability
- Examine injured workers as required to clarify and confirm the diagnosis and work-relation
- Act as a resource and provide expert advice to colleagues and other WorkSafeBC staff on occupational diseases and injuries
- Participate in educational activities for WorkSafeBC staff and for residents in family medicine, public health, preventative medicine, and other specialties
- Work in collaboration with occupational safety and hygiene officers to explore potential exposures in the workplace
- Collaborate with employers and occupational safety and hygiene officers to perform worksite visits to evaluate workers and workplace exposures, which can include specific medial assessments such as worksite spirometry
- Collaborate with community physicians to ensure workers are receiving timely, best-practice medical care and disability management
We're looking for someone who can:
- Work collaboratively in a team environment with both medical and non-medical colleagues
- Provide education in the form of presentations to multidisciplinary staff, teaching colleagues, and residents
- Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills
- Provide occupational medical expertise in the form of advice, consultations, reports, recommendations, and training
- Attend worksite visits and provide assessments as required
Your background and experience:
- Eligible for full licensure by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC and specialist designation in occupational medicine by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- A minimum of three years of experience in clinical community practice; experience in occupational medicine is an asset
- Knowledge of occupational health and safety and disability management concepts, including return-to-work planning
- Willing to work in a team-based environment
- Excellent communication skills
If you require an accommodation in the assessment process, please email HR Testing Accommodation (SM) at the time you submit your application.
Who are we?
At WorkSafeBC, we're dedicated to promoting safe and healthy workplaces across British Columbia. We partner with workers and employers to save lives and prevent injury, disease, and disability. When work-related injuries and diseases occur, we provide compensation, and support injured workers in their recovery, rehabilitation, and safe return to work. We also work diligently to sustain our workers compensation system for today and future generations. We're honoured to serve the 2.4 million workers and 245,000 registered employers in our province.
We recognize that our ability to make a difference relies on building a team with a rich variety of skills, knowledge, backgrounds, abilities, and experiences, and which reflects the diversity of the people we serve. We are committed to fostering a welcoming, inclusive, and supportive work culture where everyone can contribute as their best, authentic self. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
What's it like to work at WorkSafeBC?
It's challenging, stimulating and hugely rewarding. Our positions offer tremendous diversity and excellent opportunities for professional growth. Every day, the work we do impacts people and changes lives. What we do is important and so are the people we do it for.
Being part of WorkSafeBC means being part of a strong, committed team. We value hard work but also understand the need for a healthy lifestyle. Your total compensation package includes vacation, optional leave arrangements, health care and dental benefits, and contributions toward your defined benefit and pension plan. As a member of our team, you'll have access to services and benefits that can help you get the most out of work — and life. Learn more about what we offer.
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
Thank you, in advance, for applying.
Please apply online at: https://rita.illicohodes.com/go/610f0af4814b6751b4774875/5d4c73ed0ca13a05b2890efb/en