In the heart of the Rocky Mountains surrounded by lush forests stippled with alpine meadows, majestic waterfalls, and crystal clear lakes, is the picturesque community of Elkford. As The Wilderness Capital of BC, Elkford prides itself in attracting visitors with cameras, binoculars and sketchpads to view the raw natural beauty and diverse wildlife in the area. Elkford has a prosperous coal industry, and is home to quaint shops, a recreation centre, hot springs and the Wapiti Ski Hill. This spectacular area offers abundant outdoor recreational opportunities including world class fishing, hundreds of trails, horseback riding, snowmobiling, and snowshoeing.
Clinic Details — Elkford Health Care Centre:
The Elkford Health Care Centre has an interdisciplinary team that provides emergency services, ambulatory care, laboratory/ diagnostic imaging, public health, chronic disease management, mental health/substance use and Primary Care Nursing. Additional support services include a Dietitian, Diabetes Educator, Respiratory Therapist, Physiotherapist and two Admin support staff.
Half-time (0.5 FTE) position now available following retirement of a long standing physician at the Elkford Health Care Centre (EHCC). The EHCC operates with a collegial and collaborative physician and nurse practitioner complement. The care team is small and cohesive with a focus of team based care. The ER is staffed with 1 RN with the support of a lab and x-ray technician.
There are approximately 1100 visits to the ER per year. In emergency situations this community and ER staff may be supported by the High Acuity Response Team (HART) based out of Cranbrook. HART team consists of a critical care nurse as well as an RT. The Shock Trauma Air Rescue Society (STARs) service, based out of Alberta, can support Elkford in emergency situations. Additionally there is an airstrip 15 minutes south of Elkford where a fixed wing transport team from Vancouver can also land. Option to have privileges at Elk Valley Hospital in Fernie and Facility privileges: Site privileges in Sparwood and Elkford Health Care Centres. After hours Call covering Sparwood ER 1:10 days, physicians working in Elkford qualify for locum coverage through locums for British Columbia (42 days/year).
For those interested, Leadership Development Opportunities are available with Interior Health’s NAVIG8 Program. The NAVIG8 Emerging Physician Leaders Program is a comprehensive leadership development program designed specifically for physicians to address the practical leadership knowledge, behaviours and skills that high potential, emerging medical leaders require to step into leadership roles early in their careers.
Long term locum opportunities are also available during the recruitment period.
Apply today to live work and play where others only vacation! It's better here!
- Eligible for The College of Family Physicians of Canada Cert. (CCFP)
- Doctorate in Medicine
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification (ACLS)
- Eligible for licensure with CPSBC
- Coverage with the Canadian Medical Protective Association is mandatory
- Hours of work: 0900-1700hrs clinic; 0800-1900hrs MOCAP on call
- On call requirements: 1:10
- Payment Structure
- Service Contract
- Estimated Gross Income
- Clinical service contract - $141,367 (0.5 FTE) base salary, plus MOCAP, plus Additional Incentives listed below.
- Estimated combined total approx $200,000-$211,000 per year.
- Additional Incentives
- Recruitment bonus: $10,000 (for 0.50 fte) Relocation: $9,000 - $15,000 based on move location
- Fee Premium: 21.70%
- Annual Retention: $24,979.80
- Rural CME: max of $ 5720/year after 4 years in practice Funding is pro-rated for physicians working less than full-time and this also applies to the Recruitment Incentive and Annual Retention Flat Fee plus incentives
- Candidates with a BC or Canada student loan may be eligible for loan forgiveness programs.
**Rural incentives are subject to change and current rates are confirmed at time of offer**